Friday, April 7

Revisiting Silvered Ivory for a Spring Session to Relax and Restore!

As we hopefully anticipate spring in here New Brunswick, I spent a session at the torch revisiting a bead technique that I return to when I need to clear my head and relax and restore!

I pull out a few favourite CiM - Creation Is Messy glasses from my "favourites" shelf and pair it with one of my favorite organic “glass tools” and I like to create hand pulled silvered Ivory.
Silvered Ivory is either dark or light ivory glass rolled in pure silver leaf and pulled into tiny “stringers” of glass for embellishing beads.

Silvered Ivory stringer, or SIS, gives beads a gorgeous organic look to them. I have a preference of using silver foil and Effetre Light Ivory when creating stringers as I seem to be able to better control the dispersion of tiny speckles of silver with this combination.
Ivory glass on it’s own “webs” or “curdles” giving it a beautiful organic look. When you add silver not only does it react with the Ivory glass, but it sometimes reacts with the beads base as well!

I am always excited to sit down at my lampwork table and create because I tend to learn new things every time. I use this blog as my journal of my sessions and often look back at favourite combinations to plan new bead sets. Note: all glass is different. Each color has its own chemical make-up that may cause it to react differently with different glasses.

Within this post I have used this wonderful type of stringer with some of my stash colors of CiM - Creation Is Messy.
On a cores I have used dots and stream of silvered ivory stringer on both round and zulu shaped beads.

So pretty for summer jewelry designs. 
Let's see this week's sets!

First up, this set of round beads was created on a base of CiM's Lady of the Lake
 

This glass is a pale green milky opal that stays translucent after annealing- same hue as Sea Glass.
 

I wrapped a stream of silvered ivory around the centre of each bead on which 2 wraps of fine silver wire was added. 
The spacers of pure Lady of the Lake complete the set. 
 
 
This glass should be available for purchase through CiM Resellers.

CiM Mulberry Limited Run with SIS dots. 
 
 
Notice the micro-dots of silver in each of the ivory dots.. So pretty. 
 
 
The spacers are pure Mulberry.
I have noticed that when I use silver or silver glass with Mulberry, it will darken to a very dark purple which from some angles look like black so I assume it absorbs some metal through fuming.
 

CiM Thistledown Limited Run with SIS dots. 
 
This glass is a unique run of CiM's Plum opal which I tried many years ago as a limited run glass. 
 
 
It also will fume silver to it's base glass if silver glass is worked through several warming and cooling cycles. 
 
Within this set of beads, I kept the glass at an even temperature as I wanted it to capture the SIS dots along with the striations that this glass creates naturally as the bead is formed.
 

The spacers are pure Thistledown.



CiM Sea Mist glass was created as a limited run glass with a core of clear, encased in transparent blue, encased in clear. 
 

For this bead set I paired it with SIS streams and twists and shaped the beads in the Zulu press to create this unique shape. 
 
 
This glass also likes silvered ivory stringer. 
 
 
The round spacers are pure Sea Mist.

 
Each of the last 3 glasses within this post appear to be Sold Out on the CiM website archive. I primarily purchase my CiM glasses from Jennifer and Jean at Nortel in Toronto so I am not sure if they have any in their back stock.

You are welcome to reach out to them to check or they may have suggestions of similar offerings for your needs.

#creationismessy
#cimglass
#silveredivorystringer
#cimseamist
#cimmulberry
#cimthistledown
#cimladyofthelake
#nortel
#pendragonfyre
#handmade
#handmadeincanada
@creationismessy
@nortel_glassgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment