Thursday, February 22

Prussian Blue - A Bit of Trivia and Beautiful Beads!

I wanted to share a special post about a beautiful blue glass from CiM - Creation Is Messy called Prussian Blue.

I loved the look of the glass when I picked it on my recent visit to Nortel in Toronto.

The name of the glass intrigued me as I know many artists that have this colour in their paint palette.

Wikipedia describes this colour as:
"Prussian blue, also known as Berlin blue, is a dark blue colour that is artificially made. 
It is one of the first pigments made synthetically. It was accidentally found in 1704 by two chemists in Berlin. The dark blue uniforms of the Prussian army were dyed this colour.

Apparently it is also used as a medicine "that is sometimes given by doctors to help remove certain radioactive materials from people’s bodies. It has been used this way since the 1960s".

Now that I have shared some trivia, let's look at some beads!

The CiM website states that this is a silver laden blue and I paired it with even various Double Helix silver glass stringers, frit and powders. 

Each bead shows a different technique and result based on multiple cycles of reduction creating a truly one of a kind set of beads.

The photos below are shots from various perspectives to show off each bead in the set.






No comments:

Post a Comment